June 14, 2016
NUSD District Office, Board Library
5715 Musick Avenue, Newark, CA 94560
Establishment of a Citizens' Oversight Committee
After a bond authorized under Proposition 39 is passed, state law requires that the Newark Unified School District Governing Board appoint a Citizens' Oversight Committee to work with the District.
In accordance with Education Code Section 15278(b), the Citizens’ Oversight Committee shall:
- Inform the public concerning the District's expenditure of Measure G bond proceeds;
- Review expenditure reports produced by the District to ensure that Measure G bond proceeds were expended only for the purposes set forth in Measure G;
- Present to the Governing Board, in public session, an annual written report outlining their activities and conclusions regarding the expenditure of Measure G bond proceeds.
Appointment of Committee Members
All appointments are made by the Governing Board from applications submitted to the District. The members appointed are as follows:
|Member Name||Representing||Term Ends|
|Cary Knoop, Chairperson||Parent active in Parent-Teacher Organization or School Site Council||6/30/2016|
|Jack Dane, Vice-Chairperson||Senior Citizens' Organization||6/30/2016|
|Marilyn Painter||At-Large Community Member||6/30/2016|
|Cindy Parks||At-Large Community Member||6/30/2016|
|Vacant||Parent of a District Student||6/30/2017|
We currently have vacancies in the following constituencies for the 2016/2017 school year:
- Business Organization Representative - Active in a business organization representing local businesses
- Parent of a District Student - note this parent position does NOT require being active in a parent/teacher organization
- Taxpayer Organization Member - Active in a bona fide taxpayer's association
While the above constituencies are our known vacancies for the upcoming school year, the Board accepts applications for any position on the Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee at any time. The board also has the discretion to expand membership beyond the legally required seven members.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the CBOC, please click on the link below and return the completed application to Newark Unified School District, 5715 Musick Avenue, Newark, CA 94560 Attention: Business Services Department.
Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee Application
Time Commitment and Term
Appointees were initially appointed one and/or two year terms to divide the committee into two groups so not all members terms expire at the same time. Members now serve two-year terms. Members may be eligible for reappointment by the Governing Board for a second and/or a third term.
Board Policy, Administrative Regulation, Exhibit